Copy this text
ReefTEMPS : The Pacific Island coastal ocean observation network
ReefTEMPS is a sensors network initiated in 1958 to monitor the coastal area of the South, West and South-West Pacific. This long-term observatory allows the acquisition of several parameters: Sea temperature, Electrical conductivity / practical salinity, Sea pressure / Waves height & period / sea level, Fluorescence, Turbidity, with high or medium frequency (from 1 second to 30 minutes). The main objective is to study the climatic parameters of the tropical ocean with a focus on the coastal sea waters to monitor the long-term effects of the global change and its impacts on the coral reefs and theirs resources.
ReefTEMPS is part of the French national federative Research Infrastructure for coastal ocean and seashore observations named IR I-LICO. It is an observation service operated by ENTROPIE since 2019 (and before by the GOPS (South Pacific integrated observatory for the environment, terrestrial and marine biodiversity) in 2010-2017 and by LEGOS in 2018). FOUR operators each manage a sub-region: ENTROPIE/IRD New-Caledonia (New-Caledonia and Vanuatu), University of New-Caledonia (Wallis and Futuna), University of the South Pacific (USP) (Fiji) and the Pacific community (SPC) (Pacific States).
ReefTEMPS include a sensors-oriented environmental information system. It provides different types of interoperable services (including OGC standard SOS - Sensor Observation Service), each tailored to a specific scientific users community. The measurements provided by sensors, deployed for more than 40years for some, are stored in a dedicated database designed by US IMAGO in the late 2000s. By aggregating historical IRD stations, ReefTEMPS provides very long time series exceeding 60 years.
All data acquired are publicly accessible without any restriction (under CC-BY licence). The extracted data are accessible from this ReefTEMPS landing page with a downloadable ZIP file. All the data acquired, including the most recent data, are accessible from the ReefTEMPS data portal and through the different ReefTEMPS web services.
The ZIP archive contains all ReefTEMPS data acquiried since 1958 to the last update, for all parameters, and with different quality levels (from RAW to historical series). The ZIP archive contains 204 data files in NetCDF OceanCite 2.0 format. There is one file for each platform, with different parameter and different quality level.
Environment, Physical oceanography, Biological oceanography, Chemical oceanography
14N, -23S, -125E, -227W
- CTD (Conductivity, Temperature, Depth) : Sea-Bird SBE16plus, Seabird SBE19 SEACAT PROFILER
- MG (Marégraphe): DR-1050, HOBO U20-001-02 Water Level, RBR DR-1050, RBR RBRduo, RBR TGR-1050-P, RBR TWR-2050, RBRduo, RBRduo V10.570, Sea-Bird SBE26 SEAGAUGE, Sea-Bird SBE26plus, SEAGAUGE, TGR-1050-P, TWR-2050 V6.77
- SEAU (meteorological bucket) : SEAU Meteorologique
- THERMISTOR (Thermistor) : HOBO UTBI-001 TidbiT Temp, ONSET BUCKET HYBRIDE, ONSET Generique, Optic StowAway-TEMP(C)ONSET, RBR Data Logger TR-1050, RBR Data Logger TR-1060, RBR TR-1060, Sea-Bird SBE56
- TSG (Temperature, Salinity) : INFINITY Data Logger ACTW-USB, Sea-Bird SBE16 SEACAT