Copy this text
DEAFS – Deep-sea Autonomous and automated Fluid sampler data from the EMSO-Azores observatory, 2022
High temperature hydrothermal fluids are collected by the Deep-sea Autonomous and automated Fluid Sampler (DEAFS). The instrument is deployed at the footstep of the Montsegur edifice. The site, named Montserrat, expels hydrothermal fluid at 312°C which were collected beforehand by gas-tight fluid sampler manipulated and triggered by the hydraulic arm of the submarine vehicle (ROV Victor).
Several chemical analyses are performed aboard the research vessel: such as salinity and d20/20 by refractometer, pH and Eh by electrode (pH standard 4.01 and 7; Eh standard solution at -220mV), H2S and total S concentrations measured by electrode (AquaMS, amperometric method) at measured pH value.
Two i-button temperature sensors have been encapsulated in a titanium housing and attached on the instrument. The sensors have been sequenced for temperature measurement every 12h.
The DEAFS has performed a full sample collection sequence starting on the 23/06/2022 till the 25/04/2023.
Regional Node: EMSO-Azores, Lucky Strike Hydrothermal Field
Vent field : Montserrat at the base of Montsegur
Latitude : 37º17.2744’N
Longitude : 32º16.5461’W
Depth : 1699 m
Chemical oceanography, Environment
Mid-Atlantic Ridge, EMSO-Açores, hydrothermal fluids, Lucky Strike, geochemistry, MOMARSAT 2022
38.045556N, 38.045556S, -33.783611E, -33.783611W
- high temperature hydrothermal fluid sampler
- Regional node: Emso-Azores
- Site: Montserrat at Lucky Strike Hydrothermal Field
- Node: /
- Coordinates: N37º17.2744 and W32º16.5461’
- Depth: 1699m
- Cruise: Sarradin & Matabos (2022), MOMARSAT’22 cruise, RV Pourquoi pas ?, https://doi.org/10.17600/18001914
- Dive: HOV Nautile, 839-1 on June the 23rd 2022
- Cruise: Matabos (2023), MoMARSAT’23 cruise, RV L’Atalante, https://doi.org/10.17600/18002419
- Dive: ROV 839 - 1 on July the 13th 2023
- Sampling period: every 25th of the month over a year time period
- Anti-fouling device : N/A
- Type: N/A
- Model: N/A
- Firmware: N/A
Sequenced fluid sampling programming
Test and calibration
- 12 Titanium bottles certified TOP Industrie S.A.S; Hydro test pressure @ 572bar; Working pressure : 400bar
- Certification: N° 9615N, 9616N, 9617N, 9618N, 9619N, 9620N, 9621N, 9622N, 9623N, 9624N, 9625N, 9626N.
- Certification test of cylinder : working pressure : 412 bar; Ifremer PDG/IMN/SM/2IDM/17-0095
- Real time data transmission: No